My perinatologist had recommended that I see the midwife practice that is part of the OB practice that finally took me. The midwife practice is owned by the OB group, but they operate relatively independently within it. Since they're part of the OB practice, though, there's *always* an OB back up should it become necessary (this practice always has an obstetrician on site 24/7 at the hospital I'll be delivering at). When she'd first suggested it, I still hadn't found an OB to take me on, but I made an appointment for today (several weeks past my original call - but it was the first available appointment). In the meantime, I'd gotten an appointment with the OB practice and they'd agreed to take me on, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to talk to the midwives anyway.
And it didn't hurt to talk to them. They were lovely. Not comfortable taking on my care, but lovely nonetheless.
So I'll be sticking with the OB side of the practice (unless, by some miracle I get off the Zofran pump, get the PICC line out, and cease needing IV meds - in which case, they'll slide me over into the midwife practice... let's just say I'm not holding my breath). This is fine, and essentially what I had anticipated anyway. At least now I know and I won't have to wonder later why on earth I didn't try to see the midwives.