After stressing out in the latter part of Sunday afternoon about Julian not being home on time, I was quite relieved when yom tov was upon us. Seth went to shul, Julian went to bed, I lit candles and set the table. We had Harold, Becky, Aaron, John & Eleanor (J&E are Becky's parents) as dinner guests. I think I served:
- Garlic Soup (this was an experiment and not a fabulous one, though everyone else seemed to like it) with fresh baked garlicky croutons.
- Salad with celery dressing, red peppers, and cashews.
- Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie (courtesy of my brother-in-law)
- Tri-Colored Pasta Salad (also courtesy of my BIL)
- Marinated Tomato Salad.
- Marinated mushrooms courtesy of me.
- and um... oh yeah, dessert. Dessert was a lovely cookie display (three kinds of meringues and chocolate chip cookies), carrot cake, and cheesecake. And before any of you get all impressed, those were all store-bought.
We finished up around 11:15, just in time for Eleanor to go to the women's shiur at shul at 11:30. I had hoped to go as well, but I was wiped and there was just no way I'd be functional for Julian the next morning if I went. So I didn't. I cleared the table, cleaned up as much of the kitchen as I could, and washed a few dishes that I kmnew I'd need for lunch the next day.
Monday morning, Julian stole my glasses and hid them. Fortunately, I had my prescription sunglasses, but I was still supremely annoyed and told him so. More than once. I feel bad for not being more calm and rational about it. But he had been into EVERYTHING that morning, so my glasses were sort of the last straw. Seth to the rescue, though. Seth found them when he came home from shul.
Monday lunch we had no plans (intentionally so), though I did whip together a quiche (I had already made two quiches for Monday dinner, but I made a third quiche for Monday lunch). We ate quite late because we both fell asleep in the earlier part of the day. This is a GOOD thing. I honestly don't remember much about Monday other than it was HOT, HOT, HOT. Seth went to shul, I didn't. In the later part of the day, I went to check on the Soboroff's cats (they went to the beach for Shavuous) and ran into some people on the way home from there, which was nice. It was as close to socializing as I got this holiday. Julian kept napping at inopportune times, plus it was TOO hot to take him out for long. Since we couldn't slather him with sunblock on yontif, I didn't want him out for long. Because I'm the big, mean, mommy-monster. So there.
Monday night, we were again graced with the Feld/Pearlman clan, which was great. This time we served:
- fish fritters for Aaron (leftover from Shabbos)
- Tomato Feta Quiche, Broccoli Cheddar Quiche, and Dilled Asparagus Quiche (leftover from lunch)
- Craisin Salad
- Marinated Tomato Salad
- Pasta Salad
- Fruit Salad
- Same dessert spread as Sunday night.
Tuesday I expected that Julian and I would at least make it to shul for kiddush. But Seth came home from shul while the Rav was talking to let me know where things were in terms of time. Things were running later than I'd figured, and that was fine, except Julian was melting down. Seth figured the Rav would talk for another 20 minutes, and part of the reason he came home was he wasn't feeling well, so he took some medicine and took Julian outside to burn off some energy. That lasted about 5 minutes until Seth determined that like it or not, Julian was ready for a nap. So Julian went down for a nap while I finished preparing lunch. We had (again) the Feld/Pearlman Clan, and also psujedi and caryabend. We had:
- Bagels, Cream Cheese (four kinds!), & Lox
- Egg salad made with avocado instead of mayonaisse.
- Pasta salad
- Fish fritters (freshly made)
- Tomato Salad
- leftover quiche
- leftover veg. sheperd's pie was offered, but no one had room.
- Same dessert spread as the previous two meals.
All in all, a good holiday. Now our kitchen is a disaster and we have a pile of laundry the size of Mt. Everest (washing machine still not working....bleh!). But we survived. And now time to think about shabbos. We're having jeannegrrl, Hillel, Robin, & Mark. Not sure yet if we're having the Feld/Pearlman clan. We'll find out, I supose.
Oh, and I have Seth's cold and I'm really pissed off about it.