Because I'm too lazy for a real update, here are some random tidbits:
That is all for now.
- My allergies are killing me today. My eyes are all scratchy and teary and itchy and icky, my nose is all sniffly and stuffy and icky, I'm sneezy and snuffly and icky, and my whole freaking body ITCHES.
- I brought some Israeli chocolates in today and my coworkers are all fascinated. Most of them couldn't figure out which way was up on the Hebrew. Frankly, it was stylized enough that if there hadn't been a vowel, I wouldn't have known either. One vowel in the entire word. Why even bother? I still don't know what it says, but they are yummy.
- Are Dum-Dums kosher? I can't remember. I feel like I've seen them sold at Shalom's, but another co-worker of mine brought an enormous bag of Dum-Dums in today and they just have a K on them. So now I'm confused. Maybe some of them are kosher and some not? Maybe they're one of those things that you just have to KNOW is kosher? (which frankly, is better than a situation in which a product has a heksher on it but you're just supposed to KNOW that it's a bad hecksher or that particular product is no good. BLAH)
- I'm feeling very negative lately. Can you tell? I'm not really enjoying it. I'm a much more pleasant person when I'm positive and happy.
- AIGH! Another sneezing fit!
- My dad, stepmother, grandmother, 1st cousin once removed, 2nd cousin, and 3rd cousin all live in Florida. My grandmother and my father's cousin are going to be staying with my dad and Evie through the hurricane. This is because my dad and Evie are the furthest inland. Which is to say, they are right smack in the middle (basically Orlando). What's that you say? Frances is likely to go directly through Orlando? Oh yeah. Right. However, it's still safer than my grandmother's place (she was ordered to evacuate from her beach condo on the very outer coast). My father told me to expect him to go incommunicado for 3-4 days starting Saturday afternoon. But I made him promise to call me as soon as he had the capability to do so so that I know he's okay. They have four cats and two dogs, plus my grandmother is bringing her dog. If the power goes out (and it will), it's going to be mighty hot in that house. Those poor puppies (the cats are slightly better about finding cooler places to hide). Anyway, I'm worried about them, and I don't know if I'm just being alarmist. But I've been through a couple really nasty hurricanes, and they really do a lot more damage than many people realize. Frances is much larger than Charley was. Frances, in fact, is twice as large as Andrew was. Andrew decimated Miami in '93 or '94 (I can't remember exactly, but I was still in high school and a friend of mine that was two years older was at the University of Miami). Le Sigh. Lots of happy woo-woos to all the Floridians out there.
- gingy posted a link to her recipe for butter tarts. I've never heard of butter tarts, but I'm a big fan of tarts and I highly approve of buttery pastries, so next time I serve a dairy meal, I'm making them! Yummeroonies!
- AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH my eyes are so ITCHY! I even went across the street to Rite-Aid and bought claritin. It's not working yet. Maybe I should go back and buy some eye drops. It seems like an extremely strange time to be having allergy issues. BLEH!
- Come to think of it, I was having allergy issues last night, too. When I crawled into bed, pipsqueak curled up next to me and purred and purred and purred and purred and purred and I sneezed and sneezed and sneezed and sneezed and scared her off the bed. Oddly, I didn't wake Seth up, which I don't really understand.
- We had an alarm system installed in the house yesterday. Frankly, I think it's more trouble than it's worth. I especially think that after this morning. Seth left at 5:25, but must not have gotten out of the house quickly enough (you only have 60 seconds) or not armed it properly, because as he was locking the front door (from the outside), the stupid alarm went beserk. Good thing I'd figured out how to use it the night before. Seth never noticed it going beserk. That's because it's not nearly as loud and obnoxious as the last one was (it still would scare the crap out of me if I were a burglar). What I don't understand about this system is that it's supposed to be a "wireless" system but there are to and from the panels... Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How can it be a wired wireless system? Weird. Anyway, we feel all safe and stuff now.
- These quickies aren't as quick as I thought they'd be.
- My leg itches. This is not fair.
- The electrician also came yesterday to look at the stuff we need done. He was supposed to get back to us later in the day with a quote. I do not believe he got back to us yesterday. I'll have to investigate that further.
- We are having no shabbos company. None. Zip. Zilch. Zero. Nada. This is very unusual for us. But I'm okay with that. I've been too exhausted recently to really do nice shabbos meal planning, and I end up feeling like I'm cheating on shabbos meals. I'd much prefer to take a week off and return to my usual splendor next week than to have another week of mediocrity. ;)
- My boss is fascinated with finding hekshers on food. I think it's pretty funny. He's a good Italian Catholic boy. He's trepidatious about the Israeli chocolates though. Since he can't read it, he's afraid of it. ;) He said Hebrew was too hard.
- Right. So these are definitely not quick quickies. Suffer. I'm having fun, and that's all that matters here!
- I'm sending warm fuzzies in gwiii's direction today.
- Monday we have a wedding to go to in Wilmington. Wilmington is about 2 hours away. I figure it'll take us 2 or 3 hours to get there, but I'm pretty much counting on it taking 4-6 hours to get home. I'm excited about the wedding, and I understand why they had it on Labor Day (and I'm glad they did because it meant we were able to accept the invitation), but I'm SO not looking forward to the drive home. I'm hoping that Seth won't mind doing all the driving. But since he's working a 6am shift on Sunday, my guess is he's going to tucker out early Monday. I'll just have to feed him lots of caffeine at the wedding.
- My eyes are starting to itch just a teeney bit less. This is a good thing.
- I'm tired. Is it time to go home yet?
That is all for now.